This is a personal reflection exercise for you. The intent of this exercise is to get you to focus on yourself. Think about ways you might be able to shift away from your busy life and hone in on yourself and your needs.
I can refocus if I step back.
It’s easy to get caught up in the game of life, so I make a point to take time to step ba
ck, away from the noise, and think. I pause and take a breather.
- When I step back, I look objectively at all aspects of my life. By removing myself from the hustle and bustle of life I am able to reflect on my priorities. I identify the areas I need to strengthen and think about the areas that I might have previously overlooked.
- When I get busy and fail to take a break, I realize I become emotionally charged and driven by my feelings. I become consumed by the tasks I must complete. Then I remember that I need to step back. I take a deep breath and come back to the present – all is well again.
- I realize that driving myself to constantly achieve, without a break, leads to exhaustion. And, I acknowledge that there comes a point where I must place my well being ahead of my productivity. When there is too much going on, I compromise the quality of my work.
Stepping back actually helps me achieve balance. When I reflect on how I have been spending my time, I see areas that I am neglecting that actually affect me personally. When I step back, I take time to plan and to pursue the dreams I may have put aside.
- Right now, I choose to take a break from my routine and reflect on where my life is headed.
- I am honest with myself about negative habits about the skills I need to work on. I know what I must do to gain focus.
- Do I live in accordance with my values and priorities?
- How can I avoid overwork and exhaustion?
- Is now the time to revise my plan for my future?